Intermittent Pain On Outside Of Ankle? You May Have Peroneal Tendonitis

1 November 2018
 Categories: , Blog

There are many causes of having intermittent pain on the outside of your ankle, also known as lateral foot pain, including peroneal tendonitis. To help you determine what is wrong you need to see a foot and ankle specialist. This type of doctor specializes in this type of problem, as well as many other foot and ankle problems. To help you, below is more information about peroneal tendonitis, as well as the treatment options you have.

Peroneal Tendonitis

Peroneal tendonitis is inflammation of the peroneal tendon. The tendon runs down the side of your foot and connects to bone. The main job of this tendon is to protect your foot from ankle sprains, as well as to stabilize your foot during activities, such as running or speed walking.

Injuries to the peroneal tendon may come on suddenly or you may notice a little pain that gets worse over time. If you have high arches you have an increased risk of peroneal tendonitis. Besides pain you will have other symptoms, such as this area feeling warm to the touch, swelling, and weakness.

The foot and ankle doctor will first examine your foot looking for swelling, pain while moving the foot, and instability. The doctor may want x-rays of the ankle or other images, such as an MRI, which allows the doctor to see the tendons and other muscles in the ankle.

Treatment Options

If the doctor finds peroneal tendonitis, they will first offer nonsurgical treatments. This may include using a cast to prevent you from moving your ankle so the injury can heal. To help relieve the pain the doctor may suggest anti-inflammatory drugs either injected or orally.

Physical therapy can also help which will include using heat and ice to reduce pain and swelling. The physical therapist will show you exercises that will strength muscles in your ankle.

The doctor may send you to a specialist to determine the right type of shoes you should wear. This specialist can make inserts to put into your shoes, if you prefer. To do this they will take a mold of your foot to create the insert. The specialist may also suggest certain types of shoes to wear.

If you continue to have problems the tendon may need to be repaired surgically. With this the doctor will repair the damaged peroneal tendon, as well as remove damaged surrounding tissue.

Your foot and ankle doctor can go over this information with you in much more details. Visit a site like for more information.